A custom plugin that will display dynamic text from the values you enter in special custom fields on a post inside of a WordPress Widget.
Add any text you want as the value of the ‘posty’ custom field and it will show up in this widget. Title the widget with the ‘posty-title’ custom field. It only works on single posts.
The Posty Widget plugin was developed by Eric Marden, and is provided with out warranty under the GPLv2 License. More info and other plugins at: http://xentek.net
Copyright 2008 Eric Marden (email : firstname.lastname@example.org)
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA
- Download the posty-widget.zip file, unzip and upload the whole directory to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Drag the widget to your theme using WP-Admin.
- Create a custom field on a post with the name of ‘posty-title’ and a value of your choosing (text only). This will be the Widget’s title.
- Create a custom field on a post or page with the name of ‘posty’ and a value of your choosing (can include HTML if you want). This will be the body of the Widget.
- Visit the page and regal in your posty-widget gloriousness.
- Why Would I Want This?
If you would like to create a widget from custom field text, this plugin is probably about the simplest way to do just that.
- Does it support multiple instances of the Widget?
Not yet. However, it was designed to place the widget in the same place on different pages, and then use the custom field values to change it dynamically, depending on which post you were looking at.
- Which Custom Field values does the plugin respond to?
Only ‘posty’ and ‘posty-title’. The value of ‘posty-title’ will be used to title the widget, and the value of ‘posty’ will be used as the body. The custom field names should not include the single quotes (obviously).
- I want to help with development of this Plugin!
The project is now hosted on github.com. Just fork the project and send me a pull request.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Posty Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Slight code clean up
- Fixed the FAQ section of the readme
- Initial Version of the Plugin released to the public.